Thursday, January 26, 2012

Nail me to the wall

My last class was by far my least favorite so far. Granted, I have completely adored all of my other classes, so a "meh" on one is not exactly tragic. However, my professor gave this great non-assignment to write a list of ten essential beliefs that you would fight to the death for. (Or, on another instance, ten things that "they" can "nail you to the wall for." Because people say that?) I love that idea. So here, in no particular order, are ten things that represent who I am as a counselor and an educator:

1. Every child needs and deserves love.
2. Every child deserves to feel safe in school.
3. Every child can succeed at something, and I am there to help them succeed.
4. Everyone is entitled to feel however (s)he feels.
5. Childhood is a special time in one's life, and it should be enjoyed and preserved as much as possible.
6. Not everyone has to love school. But we should make every reasonable effort to make a child feel connected to his/her education.
7. All children should have a trustworthy adult in their lives who they trust implicitly. 
8. Kids need breaks. Mental, emotional, physical... whatever. They're young, they can only handle so much. 
9. That being said, kids are strong and resilient. Age-appropriate honesty is the best policy.
10. If you give your best, you're more likely to get the best from a child. What you put in is what you get out.

No comments:

Post a Comment