Monday, October 12, 2009

Working for the weekend

After a few fairs and consortiums, you learn to navigate your way to the host school. Signs include: giant lines of cars with various college stickers affixed to the rear window, fifty billion signs pointing to college rep parking, overachieving students pointing the way to the entrance, and (on occasion) balloons. So today I had a fair that started at 8:00 a.m. I drove to the address I googled, arriving around 7:45. No cars, no signs, no reps wheeling in giant displays. I look at the address on the invitation. Not the same. Shit. So I drove to that address. Completely deserted. So around 8:02 I arrive at the first location and--lo and behold!--there are five other reps unpacking their cars. It turns out that this school just sucks at signage. And at consortiums in general.

My day ended around 2:30 so I stopped and saw a movie and wandered around a mall and pretended that pretzel bites and nacho cheese and cherry coke are acceptable dinner foods. I watched "Fame," which I thought would be inspirational and adorable, but I had a lot of issues with it. First of all, they lied about Kelsey Grammer being in it. He has two lines, both of which are "Superb!" Also, I just can't get behind the idea of a musical high school that is not High School Musical. I mean, where the hell was Zac Efron? And, for that matter, Debbie Reynolds? Fail. Massive, massive fail.

Basically the only thing keeping me going this week is a wine festival this weekend with my school friends who I haven't seen in a month. Autumn + wine + pretending I never graduated? I have high hopes.

No comments:

Post a Comment