Thursday, October 1, 2009

Jim and Pam are getting married in a week!

I love college fairs. Not only do they desensitize you to a world full of rejection, but the host(s) usually feed you. However, I take great issue with schools/organizations that insist on sponsoring fairs on Thursday nights. Obviously today's jaded youth has no interest in being in some stuffy gym when the weekend is so close. And obviously I have no interest in being in some stuffy gym when I should be sprawled across a king sized bed watching "The Office." Yes, these fairs usually end around 8:30, but by the time I pack up and drive to my hotel I don't even make it in time for "Project Runway," assuming that my hotel even has Lifetime. (I am rarely so lucky.) Ideal days would be Tuesdays and Wednesdays, when there is absolutely nothing on. Last night was the first time in over a week that I made it to a hotel before ten, but it was practically a waste of a night in. When I arrived at the hotel I spent 45 minutes or so happily absorbed in tulle and taffeta with "Say Yes to the Dress," but then TLC switched to "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant," and that show scares me more than railroad tracks, serial killers, and global warming combined.

I'm getting spoiled with these low-key days... it's going to be a bitch when I start having five or six school visits in a day. I met with one kid today: an insanely adorable junior who probably doesn't know what she wants, but was delightful to talk to. Other than that I chatted with two counselors. Have you ever had an awkward interaction with someone and started to wonder if it was your fault or the other person's? That was my last appointment. In the end I concluded that I am normally painfully aware of my own awkwardness, and that it was probably her. She had a sheet of questions to ask me, but it seemed almost like I was her first appointment and she didn't quite know what to do. Or I'm just deluding myself to make myself feel better. Both are possibilities. (P.S.-- It's a little unappreciated when you sit down with a rep and the first question is, "So, this is (insert some version of your school name)?" followed with, "Where are you located?" There's a poster with that information hanging in your office, you can't at least be smooth and pretend you know which rep you're meeting with?)

Sorry, high school counselors, I made a mistake: "Glee" is on Wednesday nights, and I would like to watch that. Tuesdays are still fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment