Friday, October 23, 2009

Hello, Friday!

Ordinarily, Friday signals two full days of sleeping in. This weekend, however, is our school's open house; I will be on campus at 8 a.m. ready to greet a couple hundred families to our fabulous institution. It's nice to be in town again, although it feels weird because I'm staying at a different hotel this time, so I keep forgetting where I am. I almost checked the hotel's restaurant guide to see what's in the area.

It's always strange talking to high school students because, as a recent college graduate, I am so close to their age and yet so far. During one visit today, the girls I was talking to told me how cute my dress is (Tarzhay, thank you very much) and how much they loved my shoes. Ten minutes later I elicited utterly teenage stares when I used the word "wallflower." I had to explain what it meant. The guidance counselor, who was older than my mother, helped me out by offering, "It's an old term. No one really uses it anymore." Thanks a bunch. The girls at that visit were so eager to stay out of class that they started repeating questions. I don't mind helping kids get out of class, but it's just painful when they're bad at stalling.

I'm sure tomorrow will be replete with mayhem and zany questions, so I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment