Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ego depletion

Day 2 Retail.

I worked all of four hours today, and yet I am utterly exhausted. Boredom does that, I suppose. When I arrived at my shift, manager B was on the phone with manager A (let's face it, I figured out that ranking pretty quickly). She told me to look around the store because we got some new stuff in. I wandered for fifteen minutes. Then I stood and read the upcoming promotions. Then I stood and watched another new girl do register training. Fifteen minutes later manager B got off the phone and told me to refold things up front and greet customers. Actually, no. She told me I could greet customers in the same way you might tell a five-year-old to greet party guests so you can finish laying out the hors d'oeuvres without the interruption of tiny fingers. Or the way you let a five-year-old stir the chocolate chips into the cookie dough because you sure as hell don't trust them to measure the ingredients. Once I was finished folding pants, I took the initiative to fold the tank tops on the same table. Manager B was impressed that I figured out how to do it. (For those of you who plan to work in the same store, a "half fold" is where something is folded in half. Congratulations on completing your training!) ...okay, I may just be bitter that I missed Jim and Pam's baby on The Office.

As you can see, an uneventful evening. I managed to avoid buying things, which is getting harder and harder. The only thing keeping me going so far is that the spring line is mostly pastels and I can't wear them; unfortunately, I keep noticing non-pastel colors hidden on lower shelves. Someone please stop me. I can't do this alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment